Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thistles and Thorns



Believe it or not, this is a gift from nature. This is a Milk Thistle plant in my garden at work and it is getting ready to present it's gift. I harvested some of these seeds last week, which meant that I very gently put my fingers on top of that fluffy part and pulled out the fluff. Each seed is at the end of it's own fluffy umbrella, just waiting for the wind to take them away and start a new life. I was amazed at looking into the opening flower. The 'whole' plant is prickly and thorny, I am thinking it is for it's own protection. While the plant is growing, it is making very special medicine and it needs to protect itself during that process, then it opens itself totally up when it decides to share. Are we as humans like this too?? I think we are. Sometimes we surround ourselves with thistles and prickly things to feel safe and protected.
The jar full, really isn't a harvest, because you can only use the little brown seeds, but I wanted to see all of that beauty filled up in the jar. Milk Thistle is excellent for your liver. Best used in a capsule or tincture form. For now, we are just eating the seeds as a little snack and that work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment